I'm not so sure that it is so complicated. I think Gardner is trying to stress a point, really stress it. I am in agreement that it should be stressed because, it's not truth, beauty, and goodness that is so complicated it is our world that has become so complicated through the ability to communicate so easily. The Internet has broadened our horizons and we need to be mindful of all citizens in the world and mindful of how we want to present ourselves to that world. Out of respect for ourselves we really only need to remember a few things which I hope we learned in kindergarten; one of them being: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
In teaching it is so important to convey standards and expectations that align with socially acceptable behavior. It is entrusted to me and other early education professionals that i ask the students to understand the general concepts of truth and goodness as they are defined in american society today. Rule one in my classroom is "the golden rule": treat others as you would like to be treated. To some this standard seems more intrinsic while others must be structured, guided, counseled and corrected in order to get them to align with the stated norm of behavior. goodness seems to be natural to some and more of an effort for others.
"Do we live up to our principal responsibilities as workers and as citizens, or do we fall short in significant ways?" I found this question within the chapter very interesting and it generated some thoughts. I think as classroom teachers "Good" is in our job description. We are role models and expected to teach kids what "Good" is.
I agree that there are some people that forget the basic principals of being "good" when it comes to communication in technology. There are people at the other end of the computer that is reading the comments being written. Being nice is proper behavior in real life and in virtual reality.
I agree with Laura that many people fail to remember the basic principles of being "good" when it comes to technology. I liked the section in this chapter where Gardner discusses this in relation to adolescence. He states that "by the time of adolescence, young people are not unaware of the pitfalls of involvement in the new digital media," but that "American youth either ignore the ethical implications, worry only about negative consequences to themselves, or belittle the importance of cyberspace altogether." I couldn't agree more with this!
I agree with Maureen but it is our responsibility as educators and a school district to always reinforce the the moral issues and hopefully most of our students always remember what is really morally correct. The more often that we correct these issues the more students that we will reach.
8 comments:
Kathy-
Oh, my goodness! How did truth, beauty, and goodness become so complicated?
Ki
I agree with Ki. How did truth, beauty, and goodness become so complicated. I am not enjoying this book.
Lorraine
I'm not so sure that it is so complicated. I think Gardner is trying to stress a point, really stress it. I am in agreement that it should be stressed because, it's not truth, beauty, and goodness that is so complicated it is our world that has become so complicated through the ability to communicate so easily. The Internet has broadened our horizons and we need to be mindful of all citizens in the world and mindful of how we want to present ourselves to that world. Out of respect for ourselves we really only need to remember a few things which I hope we learned in kindergarten; one of them being: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."
In teaching it is so important to convey standards and expectations that align with socially acceptable behavior. It is entrusted to me and other early education professionals that i ask the students to understand the general concepts of truth and goodness as they are defined in american society today.
Rule one in my classroom is "the golden rule": treat others as you would like to be treated. To some this standard seems more intrinsic while others must be structured, guided, counseled and corrected in order to get them to align with the stated norm of behavior. goodness seems to be natural to some and more of an effort for others.
"Do we live up to our principal responsibilities as workers and as citizens, or do we fall short in significant ways?" I found this question within the chapter very interesting and it generated some thoughts. I think as classroom teachers "Good" is in our job description. We are role models and expected to teach kids what "Good" is.
I agree that there are some people that forget the basic principals of being "good" when it comes to communication in technology. There are people at the other end of the computer that is reading the comments being written. Being nice is proper behavior in real life and in virtual reality.
I agree with Laura that many people fail to remember the basic principles of being "good" when it comes to technology. I liked the section in this chapter where Gardner discusses this in relation to adolescence. He states that "by the time of adolescence, young people are not unaware of the pitfalls of involvement in the new digital media," but that "American youth either ignore the ethical implications, worry only about negative consequences to themselves, or belittle the importance of cyberspace altogether." I couldn't agree more with this!
I agree with Maureen but it is our responsibility as educators and a school district to always reinforce the the moral issues and hopefully most of our students always remember what is really morally correct. The more often that we correct these issues the more students that we will reach.
Post a Comment