TRUTH
"We must strive to identify and affirm truths, while remaining open to
revising them in the light of new knowledge." ~ Howard Gardner
In response to those canned bios in conference pamphlets: "In a matter-of-fact manner, Ned said, " I never pay the slightest attention to these potted bios. Instead, I go to a search engine and read all about the participants so that I will know who they really are- the good, the bad, and the ugly."" "By the same token, we should not expect the average surfer of the web to become her own best lawyer, doctor, minister, or teacher. But the proliferation of sources on the web may well usher in a new situation: In the future we can expect more knowledge, better questions, and a refusal to accept authority..." ~Howard Gardner
5 comments:
I think we have to keep the door open to let more information in so we can connect, assess, and reaffirm truths as they apply to our lives.
Truth as described in this chapter was very subjective. The idea that we can view many different things on the web in any area of expertise is overwhelming. We all need to focus on the content being provided and second guess everything we read. We need to determine the validity of everything we view on the web.
I agree with Gardner that truth is very subjective much of the time. One person's truth is another person's falsity.
I agree Lori, truth was very subjective in this chapter. We have to be careful what we believe on the web. Just look at Wiki's... Kids have to be taught to look carefully for the truth.
"We can readily be swayed against the evidence of our own senses or our own minds."
This statement reminds me of the power cable news outlets have over the minds of everyone in our society. If you keep the television on one of these stations long enough, you'll believe everything that it said, regardless of the level of validity or the information source.
Post a Comment