I thought this video was very relevant with all that we hear about education today. I do wonder, "Is it ironic to say we are at the "Death of education but the dawn on learning?" Don't these two ideas coincide? I deem that if we as teachers are up on our "game", then we are able to accomplish both.
I always like watching people speak about this topic. There's such a sense of optimism, and it validates what we do or try to do every day in our classrooms. I was struck mostly with the mention of NCLB, and how it has now fallen by the wayside. I am left with such a feeling of disappointment and frustration knowing that powers that be who are so removed from our reality are able to disrupt and hinder all the good that can be done.
Looking ahead to the future of education, or more importantly future jobs for our children, I can't help but to feel a bit overwhelmed by it. I agree that we live in a world where information is everywhere and how to navigate it will be an important tool in the workplace. I guess I need to become more aware of how I can use it in my own classroom.
The project that Tom, Frank and I worked on contains elements of what the video discusses.
Using the knowledge and experiences we have gathered over the years from other classes, we were able to set up our computer and audio equipment. Then, through collaboration, we were able to integrate these various technologies to serve the purposes of our project: --cardioid microphone placement in the rehearsal room --plugging the microphones into a MIDI interface --plugging the MIDI interface into the laptop and setting the microphone levels on the interface and the laptop --setting up a track on GarageBand, in order to record the rehearsal while "Skyping" simultaneously --setting the microphone levels on GarageBand to help ensure a quality recording --setting up Skype accounts --setting the levels Skype so that the sound being generated is coming from the cardioid microphones and not the laptop microphone --setting up a separate laptop in a different building --plugging the separate laptop into a stereo for improved audio quality --plugging the laptop into a projector for improved video quality --using my iPhone to videotape the process of what we were doing --converting the videos to a format that allowed them to be posted on my blog --converting the GarageBand recording so that it can be posted on a blog for our students to listen to and comment on
In summary, the combination of technology and collaboration allowed us to work off of our strengths to create a meaningful project for us and our students.
I like the idea of incorporating social media into our curriculum. Our students are surrounded by the tools that connect them to the world of social media most of the day and when they enter the classroom we ask the to "shut down" and disconnect. I do feel that the students need to stay connected and use these tools in the classroom but it is a scary thought. I believe effective teaching incorporates a degree of structure and sites like Facebook and Twitter are so loose. I am ready to incorporate these components into my classroom to some degree; I am not ready to have them engulf my entire philosophy. The opinions expressed on the video "Digital Identity" are a little extreme. I do not agree with some of the ideas and I certainly do not believe in the following statement "The death of education and the dawn of learning".
One of the things that struck me about the video was the idea that our students will be going out into a very different workforce. Keeping that in mind, we need to adjust some of our methods for preparing our students for the future. One of the speakers mentioned that students will need to learn how to validate information and then synthesize the information while working collaboratively. I think that we do some of these things when we teach students the research process because we are asking students to assess the validity of the information they find on the web and then synthesize their sources into one paper. While these skills will reach beyond the classroom, we need to make sure we better prepare students for the evolving workforce. I think that these same ideals are necessary to teach students responsible ways to use social media.
I share the belief that the technology available to us can be a resource with boundless possibilities in the classroom and we need to embrace it as much as we can. I'm afraid our country is hesitant to move away from the brick and mortar educational approach that helped bring us to world leadership in industry, technology you name it. The roots are so deep that to pull them out and start over with a completely new model is paralyzingly intimidating.
I really enjoyed that video and agree that standardized tests are a thing of the past. Especially being an art teacher, where we don't have a standardized test, and frown upon the ideas of regurgitating information as the means of learning. Also, I would love to change the environment of our classrooms. I feel that students should be constantly exposed to museums and the outdoors as well. In a ideal setting, students would have art classes that run anywhere from 2 to 3 hours to allow for productivity.
This video is very powerful and has relevance as far as changing the way we teach our children. I think it is very important to shift teaching and incorporate technology frequently and in as many ways as possible. I do not agree that it is the death of education, just that educating needs to be different. I would also love to be rid of the standardized testing and create some more holistic assessments for our students. That hold much more relevancy in the real world.
I agree with what Tara said. However,I really didn't care for the comment "Death of Education and the Dawn of Learning". I think that was a bit of a knock to all educators. All good educators know how to change with the times and will eventually get there. I still think we need a balance.
I like the comment "if I had to build a school it wouldn't be with mortar and brick." Schools are not just chalkboards anymore. We are fortunate to have the technology we do, and while at times it's overwhelming and frustrating, our students will probably learn more with the use of technology.
I enjoy watching inspiring videos like this one. I feel it enlightens educators and creates an opportunity for consideration of the reforms necessary to meet the needs of 21st Century students. Share this video with colleagues and begin (or continue) the discussion on how we implement meaningful and student driven pedagogical change.
Is it necessary to change in order to learn? To a degree, but not to sacrifice all. Technology is here to stay. Although, I am leery of so much of it, we as a society must embrace it totally or not at all. In order for our students to benefit fully from social networking, I don't think we should filter bits and pieces, but educate them on social working etiquette. If a student reaches out into the corporate world seeking information, brings it back to the classroom, but cannot collaborate with peers through facebook, twitter, etc., to continue the learning process, we are doing them an injustice. I didn't like the quote at the end of the video, "death of education and the dawn of learning". There were centuries of education prior to technology. There has to be a healthy balance. That's up to the next generation....help!
I also really enjoyed this video and agree that we need to shift the way we teach in some ways. We as educators need to incorporate social media into our curriculum and instruction to better prepare our kids for the future.
It is frustrating to see that we as educators now more than ever need to structure our curriculum around all of the standardized tests, job security is dependent on doing that. The powers that control our educational process really are missing the mark. Now we are spending the majority of time teaching facts and test information in order to be successful on all of the standardized tests. We should be teaching our students creative ways to find and develop their own information using all of the technologies available to us now. My only reservation is the monitoring of the way the students acquire such information. I don't think that we as teachers are as skilled as the students of today, and we need to catch up to the abilities of them in order to keep them safe and moving in the right direction. I think this is very possible, we just need to get away from the standardized tests a little.
Great video! I totally agree with the statement that we are teaching classroom communities and we should be teaching global communities! I enjoy the perspective in which the educators in the video see education going! We are only beginning to access the resource that are available to us!
The video "Digital Identity" raises some very interesting ideas to surface. Thinking about the world now and the way our students live must be embraced by teachers. What that "classroom" looks like will grow out of the current technology. I was curious about one of the people in the video, Chris Dede, so I looked him up. Here is a link I found: http://www.gse.harvard.edu/academics/masters/tie/faculty/dede.html Then from there I found this interesting link: http://vpa.gse.harvard.edu/ And this link is the coolest one yet: http://www.fastcompany.com/1824740/video-games-are-tomorrows-answer-to-executive-training
I understand that we need to move with the times....our time now is social media, ever growing, ever changing,but I still feel that these advances of technology need to be integrated into a well-balanced society. Children need to learn the basics and enrich with the web. I felt offended as an educator with the final quote:"Death of education but the dawn on learning?" Let's think positive, Be safe, and forge ahead together!
As most of you know, I also love inspirational videos. This one seemed to be a little bit more than that, which intrigued me. All of your comments are right on target. As always, it is a pleasure to discuss and collaborate with all of you.
19 comments:
I thought this video was very relevant with all that we hear about education today. I do wonder, "Is it ironic to say we are at the "Death of education but the dawn on learning?" Don't these two ideas coincide? I deem that if we as teachers are up on our "game", then we are able to accomplish both.
I always like watching people speak about this topic. There's such a sense of optimism, and it validates what we do or try to do every day in our classrooms. I was struck mostly with the mention of NCLB, and how it has now fallen by the wayside. I am left with such a feeling of disappointment and frustration knowing that powers that be who are so removed from our reality are able to disrupt and hinder all the good that can be done.
Looking ahead to the future of education, or more importantly future jobs for our children, I can't help but to feel a bit overwhelmed by it. I agree that we live in a world where information is everywhere and how to navigate it will be an important tool in the workplace. I guess I need to become more aware of how I can use it in my own classroom.
The project that Tom, Frank and I worked on contains elements of what the video discusses.
Using the knowledge and experiences we have gathered over the years from other classes, we were able to set up our computer and audio equipment. Then, through collaboration, we were able to integrate these various technologies to serve the purposes of our project:
--cardioid microphone placement in the rehearsal room
--plugging the microphones into a MIDI interface
--plugging the MIDI interface into the laptop and setting the microphone levels on the interface and the laptop
--setting up a track on GarageBand, in order to record the rehearsal while "Skyping" simultaneously
--setting the microphone levels on GarageBand to help ensure a quality recording
--setting up Skype accounts
--setting the levels Skype so that the sound being generated is coming from the cardioid microphones and not the laptop microphone
--setting up a separate laptop in a different building
--plugging the separate laptop into a stereo for improved audio quality
--plugging the laptop into a projector for improved video quality
--using my iPhone to videotape the process of what we were doing
--converting the videos to a format that allowed them to be posted on my blog
--converting the GarageBand recording so that it can be posted on a blog for our students to listen to and comment on
In summary, the combination of technology and collaboration allowed us to work off of our strengths to create a meaningful project for us and our students.
I like the idea of incorporating social media into our curriculum. Our students are surrounded by the tools that connect them to the world of social media most of the day and when they enter the classroom we ask the to "shut down" and disconnect. I do feel that the students need to stay connected and use these tools in the classroom but it is a scary thought. I believe effective teaching incorporates a degree of structure and sites like Facebook and Twitter are so loose. I am ready to incorporate these components into my classroom to some degree; I am not ready to have them engulf my entire philosophy.
The opinions expressed on the video "Digital Identity" are a little extreme. I do not agree with some of the ideas and I certainly do not believe in the following statement "The death of education and the dawn of learning".
One of the things that struck me about the video was the idea that our students will be going out into a very different workforce. Keeping that in mind, we need to adjust some of our methods for preparing our students for the future. One of the speakers mentioned that students will need to learn how to validate information and then synthesize the information while working collaboratively. I think that we do some of these things when we teach students the research process because we are asking students to assess the validity of the information they find on the web and then synthesize their sources into one paper. While these skills will reach beyond the classroom, we need to make sure we better prepare students for the evolving workforce. I think that these same ideals are necessary to teach students responsible ways to use social media.
I share the belief that the technology available to us can be a resource with boundless possibilities in the classroom and we need to embrace it as much as we can. I'm afraid our country is hesitant to move away from the brick and mortar educational approach that helped bring us to world leadership in industry, technology you name it. The roots are so deep that to pull them out and start over with a completely new model is paralyzingly intimidating.
I really enjoyed that video and agree that standardized tests are a thing of the past. Especially being an art teacher, where we don't have a standardized test, and frown upon the ideas of regurgitating information as the means of learning. Also, I would love to change the environment of our classrooms. I feel that students should be constantly exposed to museums and the outdoors as well. In a ideal setting, students would have art classes that run anywhere from 2 to 3 hours to allow for productivity.
This video is very powerful and has relevance as far as changing the way we teach our children. I think it is very important to shift teaching and incorporate technology frequently and in as many ways as possible. I do not agree that it is the death of education, just that educating needs to be different. I would also love to be rid of the standardized testing and create some more holistic assessments for our students. That hold much more relevancy in the real world.
I agree with what Tara said. However,I really didn't care for the comment "Death of Education and the Dawn of Learning". I think that was a bit of a knock to all educators. All good educators know how to change with the times and will eventually get there. I still think we need a balance.
I like the comment "if I had to build a school it wouldn't be with mortar and brick." Schools are not just chalkboards anymore. We are fortunate to have the technology we do, and while at times it's overwhelming and frustrating, our students will probably learn more with the use of technology.
I enjoy watching inspiring videos like this one. I feel it enlightens educators and creates an opportunity for consideration of the reforms necessary to meet the needs of 21st Century students. Share this video with colleagues and begin (or continue) the discussion on how we implement meaningful and student driven pedagogical change.
Learning to Change-Changing to Learn
Is it necessary to change in order to learn? To a degree, but not to sacrifice all. Technology is here to stay. Although, I am leery of so much of it, we as a society must embrace it totally or not at all. In order for our students to benefit fully from social networking, I don't think we should filter bits and pieces, but educate them on social working etiquette. If a student reaches out into the corporate world seeking information, brings it back to the classroom, but cannot collaborate with peers through facebook, twitter, etc., to continue the learning process,
we are doing them an injustice.
I didn't like the quote at the end of the video, "death of education and the dawn of learning". There were centuries of education prior to technology. There has to be a healthy balance. That's up to the next generation....help!
I also really enjoyed this video and agree that we need to shift the way we teach in some ways. We as educators need to incorporate social media into our curriculum and instruction to better prepare our kids for the future.
It is frustrating to see that we as educators now more than ever need to structure our curriculum around all of the standardized tests, job security is dependent on doing that. The powers that control our educational process really are missing the mark. Now we are spending the majority of time teaching facts and test information in order to be successful on all of the standardized tests. We should be teaching our students creative ways to find and develop their own information using all of the technologies available to us now. My only reservation is the monitoring of the way the students acquire such information. I don't think that we as teachers are as skilled as the students of today, and we need to catch up to the abilities of them in order to keep them safe and moving in the right direction. I think this is very possible, we just need to get away from the standardized tests a little.
Great video! I totally agree with the statement that we are teaching classroom communities and we should be teaching global communities! I enjoy the perspective in which the educators in the video see education going! We are only beginning to access the resource that are available to us!
The video "Digital Identity" raises some very interesting ideas to surface. Thinking about the world now and the way our students live must be embraced by teachers. What that "classroom" looks like will grow out of the current technology.
I was curious about one of the people in the video, Chris Dede, so I looked him up.
Here is a link I found: http://www.gse.harvard.edu/academics/masters/tie/faculty/dede.html
Then from there I found this interesting link:
http://vpa.gse.harvard.edu/
And this link is the coolest one yet:
http://www.fastcompany.com/1824740/video-games-are-tomorrows-answer-to-executive-training
I understand that we need to move with the times....our time now is social media, ever growing, ever changing,but I still feel that these advances of technology need to be integrated into a well-balanced society. Children need to learn the basics and enrich with the web. I felt offended as an educator with the final quote:"Death of education but the dawn on learning?" Let's think positive, Be safe, and forge ahead together!
As most of you know, I also love inspirational videos. This one seemed to be a little bit more than that, which intrigued me. All of your comments are right on target. As always, it is a pleasure to discuss and collaborate with all of you.
Post a Comment